Friday, November 12, 2010

It Does Not Interest Me…I Want to Know…


It doesn't interest me how old you are. I want to know if you will risk looking like a fool for love. If you fail at something, will you come back and try again and not give up easily? I want to know if you have been opened by betrayals and sorrows, or closed down from fear of further pain. Do you pick yourself up when you have been knocked down? I want to know if you can get up after a night of grief and despair, stubbornly carry on and keep your head up.

It doesn't interest me what the color of your skin is, or if you are skinny or fat. I want to know what is on the inside, your personality, your virtues and vices. Are you a moral person with principles and values? I want to know if you live a self-examined life. Do you know yourself and are you in touch with your own feelings? I want to know if you have integrity and a healthy love of your “self”. Can you tackle personal criticism and not let it get you down?

It doesn't interest me where or what or with whom you have studied. I want to know if you are willing to change your opinions in light of evidence and sound arguments. Are you skeptical and open minded? I want to know if you have passionately pursued wisdom. Are you curious about the universe and our place in it? Do you value truth more than comforting beliefs?

It doesn't interest me which religion you adhere to. I want to know if you can take the good without the bad and if you are tolerant. Will you defend the universal rights to freedom of belief, conscience, practice and speech? I want to know if you have the courage to stand up to any black sheep in your own house. And, will you do what is right for the children and let them choose their own paths?

It doesn't interest me what you do for a living, what you own, or how much money you have. I want to know if you have found your purpose. What are your goals and dreams? What do you desire most of all? I want to know if you are a spiritual person: if you got your mind on “higher” things, and is passionately devoted to a belief about the meaning of life and the path to the collective happiness of the human race.

It doesn't interest me who you know or how many friends you have. I want to know if you are compassionate. Will you fight evil wherever and whenever you see it manifests itself, and struggle to make this world a better place for all of humanity? I want to know if you can die tomorrow, but say today that you did your best with what you had and be content, with no regrets.


(This was inspired by, “The Invitation” by Oriah)

No comments:

Post a Comment