Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Why care about the world?


Watching and reading news from around the world can almost make me depressed. There is so much needless suffering, and far too much cruelty. Sometimes I wonder: “Where did all the heroes go?" and “Where is the compassion?”

I got much compassion for humanity. I want to make the world a better place. I think that is a reasonable expectation of my “self”. Why wouldn't I try to contribute? I could hardly complain about the state of affairs if I myself did nothing to make things better. And I would dislike myself, because I want to be a caring and altruistic person.

But, sometimes I think: "Why do I bother? Why am I fighting evil, when it does not seem to make a difference?" Sometimes you get little back for being kind and giving.

Then I remember the words of Edmund Burke: "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

The success of a life is not measured by a person’s income or status; but by his or her gifts of love to the world. The surest route to a happy life is one lived for the benefit of others.

I may not change the world, but I will try to spark the brain that will change the world. At least, I hope to lay on my deathbed with no regrets, knowing that I tried my best with what I had.

If you think there is to much suffering and cruelty in the world, do something about it. We must be the goodness. Be a light in the darkness!

2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful and truly inspiring, Mats! It's about sharing your positivity in everyday life and know that exactly that will make the world a better place. Much Love :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, indeed. I would also add the old chestnut, "If you are not a part of the solution, you are part of the problem." When we look back through human history, we see that we are only here today, living lives of relative freedom, within a society that is rich in insight and moral wisdom, because of the sacrifices made by others towards human good. How could we do anything but seek to be a part of that wonderful tradition?!!!

    ReplyDelete